Songs for Romance
If you read that headline as “songs for sex,” you’re only getting part of the romantic experience. If you read it as “pretty songs with no sex,” you’re getting none of it.
A romantic song takes you out of yourself. Listen with someone who also can be emotionally transported by music and you’re in. For a few moments, the two of you can forget about work and money and go to a happier place. You can remember a moment when you once thought that, if someone loved you without reservations, your life would be complete.
A romantic song is the quickest and most powerful method for evoking romantic feelings. Unless you are a drop-dead expert at gazing longingly, touching tenderly and many other wooing behaviors, you need a good mood starter. The perfect romantic song checks that off the list first thing.
But the wrong song at the wrong time also can kill romance quicker than a subtle putdown. Inexpert romantic song selection is wrong and so unnecessary.
Simply choose from the lists of spot-on tunes handpicked by the editors of Songs for Romance.com, and you have our guarantee of romantic song perfection. The rest is up to you.
What makes the perfect romantic song?
- A singer (and/or musicians) with a voice and delivery you believe. Falseness, even fatuous irony, spoils a romantic song beyond repair.
- A melody that carries you safely from beginning to end, lifting you into the clouds, and then depositing you softly back on earth. You know, the good shit.
- Poetry beyond the daily bore. It doesn’t need to be great poetry; in fact, that would be distracting. Simple, fun and convincing works just fine.
- Professional production value, and some would say overproduced is even better. The whole effect needs to be a swirling, wonderful mini-tornado of happiness that bypasses the cynical filters in your brain and heart.
- Familiar enough that the listener isn’t jolted from his or her reverie by its novelty.
- That certain something that lifts one thing from another. It should be kissed by angels. If it’s not, well, that’s hard to fake.
Because of that ill-defined “certain something” requirement, there are song elements that can either count for or against the romantic effect you’re looking for:
Out of style.
Again, the rule is simply, does anything about the song break the spell of romance? Does the song bring you back anyway?
The editors of Songs for Romance.com have selected songs in six categories:
The Top Ten Songs for Romance
The Ten Next Best Songs for Romance
The 63 Next Best Songs for Romance
Ten Awful, Cloying Songs for Romance We Never Want to Hear Again
Ten Creepy Songs for Romance
Ten Songs for Romance But They’re About Breaking Up.
In all categories, we’ve included a strong mix of genres, eras, styles, and artists but you will easily spot our biases. We make no apologies for them. You want expert opinions, you get the whole package. However, you deserve to know some of the preferences up front:
- The golden age of songs for romance was 1962-1982.
- Wuss-rock is over-represented in the lists.
- We consider Whitesnake the all-time leader of rock ballad romantic songs so their work also is well represented.
- Musical theater has a lot to offer.
- Many modern contenders, although potentially worthy, have not been time-tested and are not included.
- Country music is under represented.
- Artists’ best songs for romance are not necessarily their best, or most popular work. But sometimes they are. Go figure.
If you want to hear or buy any of these songs for romance, simply click the button next to the title. You will be transported instantly to the iTunes page where the magic is waiting. Build your playlist from the proven greats and you’ll be romantic as hell. We guarantee it.
Romantic Gifts for the Romantic Occasion
Want to complete the spell with a romantic gift or toy? You should be visiting Romantic Gifts.com. Romantic gifts for men and women, massage and bath items, lingerie, games, sexual enhancers, sex toys, books and videos are waiting to be deployed just as the final strains of “Nights in White Satin” fade into silence.